- Strategy – Strategic planning, mergers and strategic alliances
- Leadership – Interim leadership, effective governance training, and coaching
- Fundraising – Development planning, coaching, problem solving
Northwest Healthcare Response Network
- Facilitated comprehensive 3-year strategic plan for regional disaster response health care collaborative;
- Executive coaching for Executive Director.
- Facilitated 2015-2023 strategic planning process which resulted in ambitious (and subsequently successful) growth plan;
- Board development, skill building, tools to manage plan deliverables to completion;
- Storytelling “Public Narrative” workshop for Board and staff.
Elizabeth Gregory Home
- Facilitated 2015-2016 strategic planning process which precipitated significant major donor support for capacity investments and new staffing to ramp up to a major expansion of services for women experiencing homelessness.
- Designed process and coached executive director through comprehensive staffing reorganization/succession for program expansion.
- Facilitated turnaround strategic planning process, resulting in capital development plan to more than double the housing units of the organization, and provide “outpatient” mobile and on-site services to the broader neighborhood.
Washington Women in Need
- Developed strategic framework, programmatic framework and communications collateral to engage individual/major donors;
- Facilitated program evaluation process, including client surveys and focus group to analyze and recommend changes to program design and referral processes, and evaluate the prospect of forming a client advisory board and peer learning groups.
SouthEast Effective Development (SEED)
- Developed comprehensive business plan for Public Art Urban Space Enterprise (PAUSE) for start-up earned income initiative resulting in successful start-up.
- Developed business plan for Rainier Valley Youth Theatre (RVYT) resulting in increases in earned and contributed revenue, successfully positioning program for six-figure national grants;
- Provided competitor analysis and identified candidates for strategic alliances;
- Conducted market research and stakeholder engagement processes including on-line and telephone market surveys;
- Conducted strategic planning forum which resulted in ongoing advisory group, and a five-year strategic plan.
Interim CDA & International District Housing Alliance
- Facilitated strategic planning process and subsequently designed and led the agency’s merger due diligence and implementation process with an International District housing and housing services agency.
Therapeutic Health Services (THS) and Central Youth and Family Services (CYFS)
- Facilitated successful merger of the largest regional nonprofit provider of mental health services with a youth services agency to provide comprehensive “cradle to grave” mental health services for low income people in the Greater Seattle region;
- Developed case for support and grant boilerplate for post-merger capacity building grant-seeking;
- Provided executive coaching to THS Executive Director during transition;
One by One
- Interim Executive Director focused on completion of a 3-year strategic plan, staffing analysis, and fundraising management.
- Developed grant-making policy framework;
- Coached program director/interim executive director through organizational transitions.
- Interim Leader of Development Department during a time of executive, program, and development leadership transition;
- Led team of 7 people through 4th quarter comprehensive resource development campaign, exceeding goal;
- Planned and executed annual gala;
- Completed team reorganization, hired new staff, developed and implemented management systems.
World Affairs Council of Seattle
- Served as Interim Director of Development, led membership framework redesign, recruited individual and corporate members, completed a Development Plan to turn around fundraising course for the agency.
Springwire (Formerly Community Voice Mail National)
- Interim Director of Development – 11/2008- 11/2013;
- Developed a revenue plan for transition of Community Voice Mail from US to Canada;
- Led the relationship with Cisco Foundation raising $1.4 million;
- Led the public launch of Community Voice Mail’s rebrand to Springwire;
- Established grants management program which secured $350,000 in annual revenue;
The Prosperity Agenda
- Crafted Case for Support to launch external communications and fundraising initiates for this statewide intermediary;
- Secured $950,000 grant from a national funder to launch Career Readiness Pilot project;
- Created comprehensive board development program including recruitment systems.
- Built grants management system, revived stagnant grants program, project managed grant-seeking plan;
- Designed and presented Major Giving Moves Management training to the Board of Directors on the roll of the volunteer in major giving, and the process of donor cultivation;
Community Development Corporations of Seattle
- Developed funding case and led advocacy effort to secure $900,000 in City funding for six Seattle-area community development corporations;
Mount Baker Rowing and Sailing Center
- Counsel for $2.4 million capital campaign;
- Major giving, foundation, corporate and government grant-writing, government relations, and volunteer recruitment and management;
- Facilitated annual board retreat focused on transitioning to strategic fundraising board.
- Part-time Lecturer, University of Washington, Bothell (Grantseeking and Grantsmanship)
- Co-Chair, Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Symposium on Major Gifts (2013-Present)
- Chair, Program Committee, AFP Advancement Northwest (2005-2008)
- Trainer, AFP Symposium on Major Gifts
- Workshop Leader, Marshall Ganz’ Public Narrative techniques
- Curriculum Designer, Trainer, Rainier Valley Corps
Other Professional Highlights
Fund Development & Communications Officer, January 2007 – July 2008
- Raised $5.5 million in loan capital to re-capitalize community loan funds;
- Produced successful Credit Union CEO forum to engage credit unions in supporting community development;
- Produced a compelling 10 minute video of the organization’s work for fundraising;
- Managed all investor relations and compliance requirements for $28 million loan fund;
- Created successful corporate sponsorship program to support Training Program;;
- Developed “visual identity” for organization including brand guidelines, logo, communications guidelines;
- Created a communications plan, and organizational collateral materials;
- Produced regional “community development policy forums” in Yakima and Seattle;
Director, Community Campaigns, August 2001 – June 2003
United Way of King County
- Directed two successful UWKC workplace campaigns which raised $65 million in gifts under $10,000 from individuals;
- Successfully reorganized department, decreasing staff and loaned executive expenses by 10%;
- Staffed top customer relationships with Boeing Company and Microsoft valued at $30million;
- Managed team of four fundraisers and oversaw operations of 16 person department;
- Oversaw direct mail program increasing dollars raised from $125,000 to $550,000 annually.
Capital Campaign Manager and Volunteer Department Director, July 1998 – July 2001
The Salvation Army, Northwest Divisional Headquarters
- Secured foundation and corporate grants ($300-800,000);
- Created and implemented policies and procedures for volunteer program management from its inception;
- Developed and oversaw donor cultivation/volunteer program recruiting several hundred corporate volunteers annually;
- Secured in-kind donations from and establish partnerships with community members/organizations;
- Recruited, trained, supervised 1000 volunteers annually for indirect/direct service work;
- Developed and marketed volunteer direct service training, and major volunteer special events.
Community Development Consultant, April 1997 – August 1997
Columbia City Revitalization Committee (CCRC)
- Produced 1997 Columbia City Town Meeting, a forum for neighborhood revitalization, drawing 200 citizens
- Created and implemented economic development and community building proposals;
- Led mission and vision process for community stakeholders and active CCRC volunteers;
- Organized neighborhood business association event with 15 businesses in attendance;
Project Manager, January 1994 – December 1996
Cascade Center for Public Service
- Product and business development for “ElectronicHallway.org,” a public policy curriculum website;
- Edited submissions and commissioned content on non-profit management, and organizational development;
- Managed Pew Charitable Trusts $800,000/3yr and Annie E. Casey $350,000/three year grants;
SECTOR LEADERSHIP & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Board Member, Past President, AFP Advancement Northwest
- Co-Chair, Forum on AFP Advancement Northwest Strategic Fundraising
- Fellow Mentor, Rainier Valley Corps
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Creating the Future Fellowship Programs 2010-2016
- Respectful Confrontation 2015
- Leadership Academy, Association of Fundraising Professionals 2008
- Association of Fundraising Professionals Professional Development programs
- Leadership Tomorrow, Class of 2003
- Dale Carnegie Communication Skills 2003
- Management Action Program (MAP) 2002
- King County Organizing Project – Community Organizing Training 2000
- Drucker Institute Consulting Tool Kit Management 1999
- United Way Volunteer Management Training 1998
- American Conservatory Theatre, Summer Training Congress 1988
- Undoing Institutional Racism –1986
- Bachelor of Arts, Humanities, University of California at Berkeley 1987
- Member, Association of Fundraising Professionals (Since 1997)
- Creating the Future Fellow since 2010
References available on request